Monday, November 26, 2007

When it Rains. . .

I don't think I even have to finish that sentence, we all know how it goes. Our household has had some major stuff going on lately, so much that I thought I'd take the time to share, but bear with me that there aren't any photos to go along. (Those will have to come later.)

November is nearly over, and I have to say that I don't know where it went. It started out slowly enough I guess, but it didn't stay slow for long. About the second week of November Paul started feeling bad, and over the last couple of weeks it's gotten way, way worse. He commented to me one day that his knuckle was sore, that it almost felt broken. I have to admit I didn't think much of it. I have a tendency to hurt myself but not notice right away, like the bruise that shows up on your shin and you have no idea how it got there kind of a thing. Anyway, soon after Paul made his knuckle comment he expressed that it had spread into his entire hand. And then his feet. And then his shoulder. And then his back. He finally got to the doctor, and long story short, he was diagnosed with gouty arthritis. He's now been through three rounds of steroids, two trips to the doctor, one trip to the emergency room, one shot of pain killer, four prescribed medications and several trips to the pharmacy. I think we're finally getting it under control, but needless to say it's been a long journey that I wish never to go through again. He's been in some intense pain, and from what I understand, gouty arthritis isn't something that goes away. Once you have it, you have it sort of a thing. I can tell you that I have NEVER seen my husband in that kind of pain. It's a difficult thing to stand beside someone you love so dearly and be able to do nothing for them. I am still praying for God's ultimate and final healing. Will you pray with me?

My work load this month has been nearly unbearable. Which considering all things, isn't so bad. Financially it's really nice, but it kills me to have to work ten, twelve, fourteen hour days over and over again. My body definitely feels it. I am thankful, however, for the Lord's provision on us. I find myself complaining about it, which I hate to admit. It seems really selfish to complain that the Lord is providing. If you hear me complaining about it, please do me the favor of telling me to shut up!

Payge's birthday was the 20th. I cannot believe she's eleven. It seems like just yesterday. We had a party for her on the 17th, which she really enjoyed. I will post pictures at a later time. I was snapping pics of her at her party when it hit me dead on that she's not a little girl anymore. It's hard to write that out, even harder to wrap my brain around.

We bought a new car on Wednesday the 21st. I know it sounds weird to say, but I'm really ticked off that we bought a new car. I mean that. We owned a 2004 Ford Escape that had less than 50,000 miles on it. We were halfway done with paying for it, which if you know me you've heard me say a hundred times that I couldn't wait to be done with the payment. My plan was to pay it off and drive it 'til the wheels fell off. Then put new wheels on and give it to Payge to drive into the dirt. I was really looking forward to life with no car payment. But, I suppose God had other plans. We were informed that the transmission was bad. Then we were informed that to fix it would cost $3,400.00. Which ultimately would mean that we would have paid WAAAAAYYY more for the thing than it was worth brand new. So, we are driving around in a new car now. It still makes me sick to say that. However, I'm really trying to come to peace with it. We prayed and prayed for God to show us which decision to make, and I know that this was it. I guess sometimes it's hard to see what God has planned. It's even harder when God's plan is not your own.

Late Wednesday night, after purchasing the car, we drove to Kansas City for Thanksgiving. We really enjoyed visiting with our family, since we don't plan on seeing them at Christmas this year. I will be posting pictures later.

So, there you have it. (Well, at least most of it.) It's been a roller coaster of a ride through November, but hopefully it will slow down soon. Okay, even writing that I know it's wrong, but hey, I gotta believe it for now.

And even though November was rough, I know that God has a plan and a purpose for everyone. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11). And that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28). So, for now "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:14) Because "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." (2 Corinthians 4:8-9)

I give thanks for the following, to name a very, very few: 1) I'm so very thankful that Paul is feeling better and that even though his "condition" may be serious, it's not terminal. 2) I'm so very thankful that I have not one but TWO beautiful, healthy, wonderful girls. 3) That my transmission did not blow up while we were driving it. Especially if we were driving it to Kansas City. 4) That the Lord provided the opportunity for a new vehicle, and that I know in my heart and with my head that he will provide financially, because he always has. 5) I'm thankful that seven years ago the Lord provided me with a way to make good money without ever having to leave my kids. 6) I'm thankful that the Lord has given us his holy and living word to guide us and encourage us, and that we can use that holy and living word at any time. 7) I'm thankful for a wonderful family, even though a lot of times I can't or don't show it. I love you all. 8) I'm thankful for friends who will go the distance with me, and who will drop everything to speed down to the hospital to take my kids. *Thanks Marshalls* And for knowing that if I would have called ANY of my other friends that they would have done the very same.

So, even though we may be in the middle of the storm, or at the beginning of the storm, or at the end of the storm, I will stand with faith. And I will keep standing. I just need to learn how to stand with faith AND with a smile on my face.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God and tie the rope! Just keep hanging on, that's what us survivors do! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.